J & M Sailing champs

J & M Sailing champs

Sunday, February 13, 2011

South Africa-Dubai-India in 24 hours

Today we have arrived in Ahmedabad, India. It took us three flights and 24 hours of travelling to get here. We arrived exhausted, but not exhausted enough to feel fear again but this time at the hands of our hotel driver and the other traffic on the roads. There are no road rules here apparently. You don't need to stop at red lights or even go around a round about the correct way or drive down the left hand side of the road (which is the side you're supposed to be on!). I think I held my breath for most of the trip to the hotel.

The hotel is another story. There is nothing wrong with it as a hotel and the staff are wonderful, it's just that we are now unable to drink the water so we are being very careful. I know why we can't drink it too; it's filthy. Even the white towels and sheets have a lovely grey tinge to them. It doesn't help that the city is hot and dusty too.

The people are beautiful, full of smiles and colourful clothes. I feel very butch in my camouflage/safari gear that I bought along. I think I may need to shop!!!

Tomorrow we spend time with Manish's family and we can't wait. Manish's father met us at the airport which was very kind of him. We are just sad Manish isn't able to be here with us too.

We ate our first meal here tonight at the hotel. It was really good, but we'll see in about 8 hours time if it agreed with our sensitive Aussie guts. We broke the 'no salad' rule slightly as we had some finely diced tomato and peeled cucumber on a papadum. It was complimentary from the staff so how could we say no!

Nat.

No comments:

Post a Comment