J & M Sailing champs

J & M Sailing champs

Monday, January 31, 2011

Birds of Prey by Jack

Birds of Prey by Jack
Today, we were all really tired because we were so busy that we didn’t get enough sleep and, we’ve done so many exciting things in South Africa that we are all worn out. So anyway, despite this we went to do more exciting things.
 Out of all the fun stuff that we did, I really enjoyed the Birds of Prey because the birds in the bird show would fly onto your hands but you had to wear a glove so they could land on your hand. The birds that could land on your hand were the Barn Owl and the awesome yellow-beaked kite. When I dropped my hand down it climbed up my arm because they feel safer up higher. When their talons dug into me, it felt like sticks jabbing into me.
 My favourite bird was the Jackal Buzzard because it would fly in really fast and grab its fake rat with a really big impact. When it hit the ground, you heard a thud and it hid its prey and screeched a high pitched squeal.
 The most ridiculous Bird of Prey was the Cape-Griffin Vultures. They fought over a small piece of chicken. One Vulture lost a toe and hobbled with a limp every time it walked around. They were very funny.
 The Black-Winged Kite was very much like the Jackal Buzzard except that it would hover over its prey and lift its wings up so it dropped onto its prey. It missed the target only a few times. It had red eyes and the man from the show called him the little devil.
Dad wanted to hold the Black Eagle so they had to put a helmet on it that blindfolded  it so that the bird calmed down. The Black Eagle has the strongest talons that can break a human arm through a glove and can take down a buffalo. Its wing span is over two metres.
The Secretary Bird uses its feet to kill snakes. It stamps its feet so hard to the head that it kills it. The Secretary bird drinks the poison from the snake so it is immune to that particular snake. If it is attacking a cobra, it will keep on kicking its head until it falls to the ground. The Secretary Bird also stomps its feet in the long grass so any bugs in the area come out.
This is the end of my bird blog but you will hear more from me.  

J

2 comments:

  1. H jack, I loved reading your birds of prey blog- you taught me so much! Your blog has become my nightly ritual of reading before bed. Have a fabulous day again tomorrow. Cheers Megan xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the sound of the Secretary bird Jacko,
    I am looking forward to reading more of your's and Max's stories on your amazing adventures.
    from uncle harry,


    I love you Max & Jack and I hope you have lots of good dreams tonight, love from Ben

    ReplyDelete